I had a successful appointment with my RE this afternoon. I went there feeling jittery with nerves. I was expecting to leave feeling discouraged, after hearing nothing but gloom and doom and being told that our only hopes of conception are IUI or, worse, IVF. I got none of that.
We came up with a plan going forward, which I’ll get to in a minute, but first, we talked about plenty of other things. A *quick* summary:
- Dr. Young thinks it’s probably wise to quit taking all the vitamins that we are on as they aren’t well regulated and there is not solid research proving that they are beneficial for reproduction. She thinks the only ones to continue with are the prenatal, omegas, and vitamin D (because of the climate we live in).
- She would advise me to discontinue baby aspirin until after my BFP. I am young and healthy, so it is unlikely that I’ll develop an ulcer or bleeding issues from the aspirin, but it’s still possible and she always likes to error on the side of caution.
- She will gladly prescribe progesterone suppositories, but she stressed the importance of taking them at the right time in my cycle. If I am being monitored and doing a trigger shot, I can take them three days after ovulation. If I am just predicting date of ovulation by OPKs, she wants me to wait a week just to be on the safe side.
- She reviewed my 2009 2 hour glucose tolerance test. One value was abnormal and had me worried about possible insulin resistance, but she doesn’t think one abnormality is a concern. She would still recommend stopping the Metformin (I have been reluctant to thus far). She says she used to give it out like candy ten years ago, but after a study was done with Metformin and Clomid proving only a very few people benefit from it (by ovulating) in taking only Met, she thinks it’s unnecessary and worries about long-term safety.
- Dr. Y reviewed my husband’s semen analysis with us and says his motility and count are excellent (which we already knew). The morphology is a concern and some doctors would automatically recommend IVF, but she says she’s not one of them. In a perfect world (where cost and time aren’t a consideration), she would say go with IVF w/ ICSI because it would give us our best chance. I’d probably be pregnant in a month or two, she predicted. But with the amount of money and time that must be invested in an IVF cycle, and with our prior two successes (BFPs), she doesn’t think it’s warranted yet. Nor is IUI. She wants to continue on the same road we have been.
- She is billing my insurance under “PCOS” and “irregular periods,” but she did warn me that the insurance company can do with that information as they want. They could still deny coverage if they find out I’m taking Clomid. Fingers crossed that they don’t decide to be jerks about this!
Basically, from all of this, I got that my doctor is conservative in the drugs/supplements she encourages and describes, and likes things to be as simple as they can be. I respect that and I respect her. She’s got fantastic bedside manner, is open to all questions, and I appreciate that she seems well-read and well-informed. I truly trust her. However, that does not mean I necessarily agree with every recommendation. At this point, I’m going to continue baby aspirin and Metformin. I’m just too scared to quit right now. But I will re-evaluate the vitamins we’re taking and start with progesterone suppositories — but next cycle. This one, since I don’t have much hope for it and it’s already 9dpo, I’m just going to relax and take things easy.
And now for the plan… When my period comes, we will try 150mg (instead of 100) of Clomid in hopes that it may help my body to respond and ovulate sooner than CD20+. There is a greater chance of side effects, none of which I am particularly concerned about except possibly the elevated risk of cysts (because I’ve had them in the past) and the thinning of my lining. However, my last u/s (on CD16) showed a multi-layered lining of 11.5 (and that was after many months of Clomid), so Dr. Y is very encouraged that it may not affect me too much. And if the 150mg doesn’t work? We’ll do a combo cycle with Clomid (or Femara?) and an FSH shot.
I am pretty comfortable and happy with this plan. We’re moving forward, trying something new, but not doing anything too drastic. I’m slightly freaked out by taking Clomid for so many cycles and about the cost of the FSH and about giving myself an injection (eek!), but one day at a time, right? One step at a time. Breathe in. Breathe out.