Well, our little Poppy boy is officially halfway through his first year. As of about six weeks ago. Better late than never for an update, eh? This sweet boy, bless his heart, loves to be held and spoonfed all the love and attention you can give — which means he spends a lot of his waking hours in arms or on a lap. I have worn this baby in a sling or Boba more at home than I ever did with either of my girls combined…probably twelve times over. It’s exhausting. And he really hates teething, also much more than his sisters ever did. So he’s a lot of work.
But he fills the house with unbridled joy. Smiles and giggles for days, from the moment I peek at him over the rail of his crib first thing in the morning to his last feeding of the day, beaming with my boob in his mouth before he drifts off to sleep. I love this boy more than I ever imagined I could. A few special things about him:
- I put socks on him and he pulls them off almost immediately, chews on them, and then drops them wherever he is. Rinse and repeat throughout the day. Meanwhile, I find soggy socks throughout the house all day long.
- Cupcake is possibly his favorite person in the world. He could watch her and interact with her for hours. He especially loves when she sings to him.
- He rolls over and sits on his own. No crawling or other movement yet, but no surprise there. He’s BIG. (Oddly enough, not quite as big as his sisters were at this age, though.) Also, no teeth yet and barely any hair. Those will come some day, right?
- He LOVES being outside. On his fussy days, I will take him outside if the weather is nice, and he will be happy as a clam playing in the grass for as long as he can.
- He really, really, REALLY loves people. Be near him, talk to him, sing to him, tickle him…it will make his day.
- Eating is fun! He wasn’t sure about it for the first two weeks, but now gets spastically excited when he sees the spoon coming at him with another bite of food. Cauliflower, avocado, banana, carrots, peas, chocolate frosting (don’t judge)…he seems to like it all so far!
- His arms and legs are constantly flailing, kicking, moving. I can’t tell you how many times I have gotten whacked in the face while nursing him.
- He may be a lot of work, but most nights he does sleep through the night. For eleven hours or so. And he takes an hour-long morning nap and sleeps for 2-3 hours in the afternoon. I really can’t complain. It could be soooo much worse (and it was, for a while).
- He’s so ticklish. It brings my heart great joy that, all these months later, it still sends him into giggle fits when we get him dressed and undressed throughout the day.
And also? Those cheeks! Those rolls! Isn’t he scrumptious?!