It’s time for a little update, I think. And on this Monday morning, when I’m tired and have a lot to do, bullet points seem like the way to go:
- I’ll be 34 weeks pregnant tomorrow, which is crazy. Because in one way, I feel two weeks past-due. This pregnancy is going sloooooowly and I’m really thankful for that, but it does make it seem like the baby should be here anytime now. And in another way, I keep thinking, “I can’t believe we’ll have another baby here in about two months!” It’s impossible to believe that I am soon going to be responsible for three children. Impossible and exciting and frightening. And very, very exhausting.
- I had to take the 3-hour glucose tolerance test recently. I passed, but just barely. Still, I’m thankful there’s no “gestational diabetes” diagnosis on my medical record for now.
- I wrote my birth plan last week. My goal is another natural birth. I’m nervous and excited for that. I know it’s not practical, possible, or desired for everyone, but I am certain it’s the right thing for me. I can’t wait to give it another go! (Well, I can actually, since I’m not ready for Poppy to arrive just yet!) Fingers crossed it all works out mostly as planned.
- I’ve been having a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions lately. I think. Not that it means anything. I’ve never gone into labor on my own. And while I’m hopeful that I will this time, I also have a lot of doubts that it’s even possible for my body, though everyone assures me it is. I don’t want an induction, but thankfully they usually work out okay for me, so I’m not entirely opposed to one if necessary.
- I totally rocked my prenatal appointment last week. As if it’s some sort of performance or job interview! 🙂 No, what I mean, is that my blood pressure was stellar, which always makes me feel like I deserve a gold medal or something. Last week, it was 102/63. If you remember from my last pregnancy, my BP started to skyrocket and I was having some major swelling in my feet by this point. So far, I’ve had neither of those problems and I’m super relieved.
- I had maternity photos taken late last month and the digital files just arrived in my Inbox on Friday. I’ve already posted them on Facebook and will be posting a few strategically-cropped and -angled ones here in the coming days/weeks. I’m in love with them! With every pregnancy, I’m just so pleased that we invest in this and that I get to cherish these photos forever.
- Completely unrelated to this pregnancy, Skittle saw her allergist last week. Her dairy allergy is now classified as “borderline.” I’m thrilled by that and hopeful that, by this time next year, she will be testing negative. Her egg white allergy is still clearly present, though. And she also is very allergic to peanuts and dust mites, both of which have me feeling really bummed. Peanut allergies are so scary and dust mites are impossible to avoid. We had some blood drawn to get a few more answers, but my poor girl. She just can’t catch a break.
- Also, we drove three hours over the weekend to see my sister. Things are kind of awkward between us right now. Her divorce is almost finalized and it’s obviously a really sad time in her life and a really happy one in mine. I don’t know what to say or do, except to listen when she wants to talk (which isn’t much) and to let her know I’m here, always. I never know if I should talk about the pregnancy or avoid it, because her daughter is two-and-a-half now and this is the point at which she really wanted another baby and I don’t want to rub it in her face, so I just let her lead the conversation when it comes to that. It’s funny….for the longest time, she had the life I wanted for myself (a good marriage, her dream job, a big house, lots of money, and a pregnancy that comes after two months of trying) and now the tables have turned and I know she would give anything to have what I do. So it’s weird between us. We’re both making something of an effort, though, and I guess that’s something.
- Up next for us: preparing the nursery, a weekend ocean getaway over Labor Day (our final trip as a family of four!), and more doctor appointments.
So that’s it for me! A lot going on, and a lot to look ahead to. What’s new with all of you? What are you looking forward to before summer ends?