Today was our anatomy scan and I’m almost afraid to say it, but everything went…well. No, as far as I know, it went perfectly.
The ultrasound tech isn’t supposed to say too much, but here’s what I know:
- Cervix is long (and closed I assume).
- Amniotic fluid level is fine.
- Baby looks “beautiful” and has a “perfect” heart.
- The heartrate was a fabulous 152.
- The tech was able to see Skittle’s genitals and I was able to take our Top Secret Envelope to the cake baker afterwards.
- Skittle is laying transverse across my belly right now, head on the left and tush on the right (with legs kicking every which way).
- No placenta previa! (yay! yay! yay!) In fact, the placenta is about as far away from the cervix as it can get.
- Skittle is still measuring ahead…by about 8 days. The tech says this is still within their normal range, but it makes me wonder if I’m going to have a gigantic baby or if I just might go into labor early. The good news is that the one body part that is measuring smaller than everything else (but still ahead by three days) is the head. I love the thought of a smallish head passing through my vagina. Cupcake had a small head, too, and I only had 15-20 minutes of pushing. Not bad!
- Skittle was very active during the scan…probably thanks to all the OJ I drank beforehand.
So all of this is pretty wonderful stuff. The sonographer didn’t tell me that I have nothing to worry about at all, but I haven’t yet heard from my OB…so I’m assuming no news is good news??? Dear God, please let that be so.
It is almost impossible for me to imagine a world like this, one where everything goes so beautifully and there are no snafus, no bumps in the road, no catastrophes. I am waiting. Always waiting for the other side of the coin, for the bad news. But right now, there seems to be none. Skittle is okay and so am I. I can feel him/her moving right now. Soon I will know if it’s a him or her. And hopefully, in another twenty weeks or so, I will hold this sweet baby in my arms. I’ve made it halfway. I can do this. I. Can. Do. This.
And for those who are interested, a couple of Skittle pics from today have just been posted.