Today I am feeling very special because, in the last week, three of you have been so kind to nominate me for the Liebster Award. Thanks to Bree at Thought Provoking Moments, Kristin at Return to Go, and From Here to Motherhood for showing me the love. The recognition is so very nice and so I’m feeling very honored on this Monday morning.
For those of you who don’t know what this award is, it’s for those bloggers who have less than 200 followers (I think?) and it’s awarded by your peers. Obviously. It is now up to me to answer a few questions, choose 11 other nominees, and pose my own 11 questions for them to answer.
So first, for the questions I need to answer… (And yes, because I received three nominations, that makes for a lot of questions…a few are duplicates and I think I’ll pick and choose from all the rest so as not to waste too much of your or my time in trying to answer them all.)
1. If there were one word you could choose out of the dictionary, which one would you choose to best describe yourself? Tender. Is that lame? But I think it describes me well. I’m quiet, I’m timid, I bruise (in so many ways) quickly, I get my feelings hurt and my heart broken all too easily, but I also give away my love so freely, in the gentlest, softest sort of way.
2. What’s your biggest pet peeve? I have many! But I really hate it when people chronically run late. I see it as a sign of disrespect. I mean, my time is valuable too, people! Please don’t leave me waiting for you.
3. Throughout your journeys, what would you say is the most important lesson you’ve learned thus far? I’ve learned who my friends are and who are not. I’ve learned who I can turn to and depend on and who I cannot. I’ve learned who to trust and who to be wary of.
4. What’s your biggest regret? Well, I have many of those too, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. It’s part of life, part of making mistakes. Perhaps one of my biggest regrets is not asking one of my closest, oldest, dearest friends to be the Maid of Honor at my wedding, or even to be a part of the wedding party at all. I will never forgive myself for that. But that’s another story and another post for another day.
5. Tell us something quirky about you. I think about food constantly. I think it’s the girl in me who will always think she’s too fat, always feel like she has to deprive herself, always be waiting for the next time I can eat. As soon as I finish one meal, I’m thinking about what I’ll be eating next. And when I go on vacation, I’d say about 53.4% of the photos I take are of what I was eating.
6. What’s your favorite dish/meal? Well, isn’t this the perfect follow-up question to the last one? Since I love food, I have a lot of favorites! Some of them include vegetarian pizza, grilled cheese sandwiches with pickles, and homemade mac & cheese. But really, if I’m being totally honest, I’m much more of a dessert girl. I’d be happy with a bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream or a blackout chocolate cake for dinner. 🙂
7. Who or what’s been your biggest influence throughout life? My mom and my travels. Both have helped me to grow in ways that no one and nothing else ever has.
8. Do you have a bucket list? If so, what’s the most ridiculous thing to do on it? I do have one! Two of the more major things on it are to go sky diving and to meet the President of the U.S., whoever it is at the time. But I’ve already fulfilled three of my favorite things: give birth, cuddle a koala, and make an appearance on Today.
9. What do you do for a living? I’m a stay-at-home mom. A job I never in a million years thought I’d do. But I love it (most days) and feel so fortunate that we can live comfortably on one income.
10. What is the last book you finished? I love to read books, but I don’t do it enough these days because I’m busy reading all of your blogs! I’m currently reading The Shack (by Wm. Paul Young), which I love but is taking me a while to get through because I’m also reading three or four other books at the same time. I think the last book I actually finished was Something Borrowed (by Emily Giffin). And up next: working my way through the Harry Potter books once again!
11. What is the last movie you watched? I think it’s Something Borrowed. I wanted to watch it again after reading the book!
12. Do you live in a rural, urban, or suburban area and would you move to another given the choice? I grew up in a rural area but now live in a suburban area, which I love. I wouldn’t have it any other way because I think that you get the best of both worlds here. The only thing I’d maybe change is which suburban area we live in. I wouldn’t mind somewhere a bit warmer with less rain!
13. What’s the best meal you have had so far in 2012? Oooo, I love food questions, but this one is really hard! As a bit of a foodie, I’ve eaten a lot of good food this year. But my favorite has possibly been one I ate while on a short road trip earlier this year to visit my sister. We stopped at a local burger chain and I had the most amazing rosemary fries and Ghirardelli Chocolate-Cherry Shake. Heaven!
14. What is the favorite city/country you have ever traveled to? London, followed by Kangaroo Island (a bit more than a city, not quite a country) in Australia.
15. How many kids would you like in total? Well, if I had my choice (ha! ha ha ha!), I’d say five, maybe six. Having grown up as an only child, I want nothing more than to have the big family now that I never had while I was a kid. (I have a post waiting in the wings about this…some day. Some day!) But I’m trying to be realistic, so I’ll say three will make me feel satisfied. Anything less will only leave me feeling like our family is incomplete and like somehow we all got jipped. But if we can, I’d be really happy with four.
16.If you won $50 million, what are the first things you’d do with it? Well, I’d put a lot of money away to pay for fertility treatments and/or adoption in case we need it. I’d also invest in our retirement, because that is the one area we are really lacking (shhh! don’t tell Suze Orman!). Then I’d buy a bigger house and maybe one or two vacation homes. After that, a large chunk would be donated to the World Wildlife Fund and St. Judes Children’s Hospital, and then we’d take an around-the-world cruise. Can you tell I’ve thought about this? A lot?
And now…on to those whom I nominate. I will be completely honest and say that this part has given me a fair amount of anxiety over the last few days. To me, it has been akin to asking someone to be my lab partner in the 7th grade or to asking to borrow someone’s homework when I missed class. I don’t like to single people out. I don’t like to be put on the spot. I don’t want to be a burden to anyone. Yes, I’m insecure and I know I’m crazy. (And for the record, I never did make a lab partner choice. The teacher then paired me with a nerdy kid who became a quick friend and whom I affectionately began to call “Froggy,” because he happily dissected our frog when I refused to touch it. So it did all work out in the end.)
There is one other problem too. So many of you have already been nominated for this award (and I can’t keep track!) and I don’t know which of you have less than 200 followers, so I’m in a tough place. And with that being said, I say to all of you who have not been nominated, if you think you deserve this award (and really, each of you are more than deserving of it) and you want to participate, then today I nominate you. Take the questions below and have a go at it. Or if you don’t have that sort of initiative (like me), you can send me an e-mail (address is on the right) and I’ll formally nominate you right here. There are a couple bloggers who spring to mind who I don’t believe I’ve seen a nomination for yet (and then again, I could be wrong) and they are:
- Quietly Southern
- Dog Mom Chasing the Stork
- Reading Each Page
- What a Day for a Daydream
- Life is Good Today
Please, loves, won’t you do us the honor and accept this award for your awesomeness and brilliance?
And my questions for you are:
1.) What’s been your biggest accomplishment?
2.) What’s your hairstyle like today?
3.) Who is your best IRL friend and why?
4.) Do you have a pet? Tell us about him/her/them!
5.) What TV shows are your favorites?
6.) If you could change lives with anyone, who would it be?
7.) What was your best subject in school?
8.) What has been your proudest moment?
9.) How did you meet your significant other?
10.) If you could change one thing about your physical appearance, what would it be?
11.) Besides the obvious, what would make you happier in life?
Well, there you have it. Ready? Set. Go! (Or don’t…it’s up to you!) And for all of you who read this, I invite you to join in the fun and pick a question from the list above to answer in the comment section below.
As ever, I thank each and every one of you for sticking with me to the end of this very long post, and for your unwavering support and friendship. You guys are the best!