Well, in an effort to keep my word and be more open about who I am, I’ve decided to share ten things about myself that are not related to my infertility or loss (mostly). But I’ll do it in two parts so that I don’t monopolize your time with an ultra-long post. So, my new blogging friends, here I present to you the first five:
1. I grew up in northern and north-central Idaho in a few small towns, where everyone knows everyone and your best friends in high school are the same ones they were in elementary school and homeowners (or at least, my folks) don’t lock their doors and parents let their itty bitty kids walk through downtown alone. My mom and dad still live in one of those towns, but Honey and I moved to a neighboring state after his college graduation. We went in search of opportunities and we found them. We love our new city, but I still miss that small-town atmosphere that I enjoyed for so long. Sometimes, I lament that my daughter will never call a place like that home.
2. I love animals. Sometimes even more than I love humans. Because of this, you will rarely see me kill a bug and you will often see me close my eyes to say a prayer when we pass roadkill on the highway. I’ve been a Vegetarian Lite (I still sometimes eat turkey, chicken, and fish) since I was 12 and have been making regular contributions to the World Wildlife Fund almost as long. And if I could take in every lost, injured, or abused animal in the world, I would. I just love all of God’s creatures so much.
3. My husband was my first serious relationship. While I have been boy-crazy since I was six and have had plenty of crushes and a handful of dates and even a first love who wasn’t my Honey, I was just much too shy, guarded, and insecure to ever really put my heart on the line for anyone. It was only after a lot of persistence from my Honey in college that I finally agreed to a date and, from that day on, my heart was lost to him.
4. My favorite number is 8. I’m not superstitious by any means, but I do consider eight to be my lucky number. I was born on 8/8/83, so it’s only natural. My love for the number is one of the reasons my Honey and I chose to marry in 2008 and chose March 14th for the big day. (3/14 = 3+1+4 = 8) It was also exciting that my daughter was born 11/21/2010 because all of those numbers add up to…you guessed it…eight! Like I said, I’m totally lame and maybe slightly obsessed, but I do so love that number.
5. I was sexually abused. I made brief mention of this before and debated whether I wanted to add it to this list because it’s such a sensitive topic, but the truth is that it is part of who I am. I hate it, but it is. However, not many people know this about me and I do still have contact with my abuser, so I will protect his identity for now. This abuse, however infrequent and mild it may have been compared to so many other horrific stories, has wreaked havoc in my life and a number of my relationships. It is only recently that I have started dealing with it and talking about it to those who are closest to me. I am healing, and still trying to forgive.
Are you now just hanging in suspense, waiting anxiously for the next five things about me? I’ll post them later this week. Stay tuned!